Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Why the Nexus One?

Everyone likes to ask me this question whenever they see me whipping out my N1: "What's the difference between this and the iPhone?", "What's so great about this phone?"

I would like to answer them this: "With the announcement of Windows Phone 7 Series, the mobile picture is now officially a three-way dance: Apple, Google, and Microsoft. The same people who dominate desktop computing. Everybody else is screwed."

"I can keep raving about the hardware specs about the N1... about how it crushes the iPhone specs hands down" But to me, specs are never stagnant. Maybe 4 months down the road, Apple will announce the new iPhone 4G which will spot equal or even better spec.

To buy a product, you are not so much buying it for its specs. You are buying the company's philosophy.

I value freedom and openness. The freedom to thinker with my phone. The openness of being able to use it how I want to use it. Pop an mp3 into the sdcard and you can play it straight away. Freedom of over the air updates. Thats why the Google N1 is for me.

If you want something that is packaged nicely for you out of the box, something that is user-friendly and very easy to use; simply because you cannot use it any other way except for how its company wants you to use it... get the iPhone. They market content inorder to sell hardware. You are buying it for the iTunes, the apps, etc. Give a child or elderly an iPhone and they can use it straight out of the box within few minutes.

If you want something that is familiar brand amongst the masses. If you value instant connectivity. If you want all the information to be pushed to you and available to you at a single glance all in device without having to log into other individual services. Then Microsoft's WP7S's "Hub" concept is the way to go for you. I would have considered this a refreshing change and would definitely get it if Android did not exist.

No comments: