Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My base is under attack

In Perth, the bush flies were annoying. But at least they only come in summer and stay outdoors. Back here, I suddenly find myself irritated by mosquitoes. This only happened after I have shifted to my new house which is at ground level. These mosquitoes are here all year round, indoors, and the itch is always there. Much more worse than just some bush flies flying all over you. I do not seem to have this problem with mozzies last time as I was staying pretty high up. There was a study claiming that insects are less likely to fly above 7 storey high. Should have stayed up high.

Photobucket
Multiply this by say... 10. The itch is KILLING ME SOFTLY!

In order to combat them, I pillaged the store room and whip out the mosquito electric zapper. With a combination of Ultra Violet light and High Voltage Coils, they claimed to be able to destroy these pesky little fliers.

Photobucket
It was kind of old but still working.

And to add to the protection, I lighted some mosquito coil. It stinks the whole room up.

Photobucket
Had to place it in a bowl.

The result? The coil really works, despite stinking up the room. However, its effect was too short lived. The coil burnt up even before I fell asleep and the buzz of the mozzies can be heard almost immediately. The Electric Zapper? Total bullshit! I did a short research and found out that these zappers are 90 % ineffective. The companies just want your money. Female mozzies, those that bite, are not attracted to UV light at all. My zapper was on the whole night and there wasn't a single insect dead in it. Mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide instead.

So ultimately, I found an easier solution. That is to switch on my fan throughout the night to diffuse the carbon dioxide concentration in the room. And cover myself from head to toe with my newly bought quilt. It has cow patterns on it. Kawaii ne?

Photobucket
Fan is the better way. Cooler room and keeps the mozzies away.

Photobucket
I can't sleep without these. Else I would have runny nose.

No comments: