Saturday, November 24, 2007

Odex website hacked

Well, there I was browsing through xedodefense.org forums like I normally do sometimes and a thread caught my eye.


Apparent as you can see from the text, our dear Odex's website got hacked. For people who have no idea what the Odex saga is, try Google or go back living under your e-rock. It wasn't a very elaborated hack too. A very simple method. This makes one think of what will happen to your credit card number, personal details, etc etc, if you happened to have employed some of Odex's services already. With security measures this 'tight' you might as well get ready for the worst.

One reporter, who frequents the forum, wrote an article about this case. While some anti-odexers were not particularly happy with his so called 'one-sided' views, I shall not dwell into that too much and leave it for you to decide. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. However, as a XD supporter myself, I salute this brave soul for what he did to express his beliefs and convictions. The security expert interviewed, Cheang, seemed to be pretty narrow in his deductions. Quoted: "From the language used in the hacker's note, Mr Cheang believed the perpetrator was someone living here." Here would mean in Singapore. Mr Cheang, there are lots of people like me currently overseas but keeping a very close eye on this saga. Don't underestimate the passion of a SGOtaku. lol.

But what I really wanted to touch on is my own opinion about Odex and its losing battle. Yes, I said losing. Odex will never, can never win this fight ultimately. It might win some battles here and there, but it will lose the war. Why? Despite them claiming to be the knight in shining armor, cracking down on illegal downloaders, freeloaders, and whatever; they are still simply a company. A business company. One that needs to gain profit to stay alive. Therefore, its actions will always be profit driven or beneficial to themselves. So please cut the shit about trying to 'educate' people.

Secondly, even if they manage, somehow miraculously, to curb downloading via BT, there are still lots of ways to get anime. Other ways. I am now part of a small committee in building up the next generation anime streaming. Try Anitube for example. People will still continue to get their load of fansubs.

Thirdly, and most importantly, Odex sucks. Literally. There is really no other word I can use to describe it. It had not gained any respect from us, its only potential clients. It is going down in a spiral. tumbling down the rabbit hole. Time to eat your red pill and hope its all virtual reality. From the initial sub-standard product, to ripping off free fansubber's work, to back stabbing its own potential customer's back with fines and lies, and releasing more products with ripped off work. Round and round the wrong end of the stick. Its a Bottomless Pit. Which will give Odex itself a Megrim. Odex will lose the game in ten turns, or maybe less.

Well regardless of what I say, I think the verdict of Odex's Appeal against the PacNet case will be one crucial point of the battle. Sources say that the verdict will be out on the 28th Nov 07. And for people like us, we can only pray for the best, our best of course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha someone copy my idea isit? Put all the Magic cards in the post oso.

Psionix said...

Not really. I wrote spiraling endlessly and thought of a bottomless pit. And think thats gonna cause a headache for them. And somehow link to how they will lose the game in Magic if theres a pit and megrim in play. And for the benefit of people who dun play magic, I place links to the pictures. 2 cards are hardly all the magic cards. Besides this post isn't about MTG. I will post my discovery of MWS some other day.