Thursday, December 6, 2007

Last Flight Out

Upon reaching the airport after braving through the storm, traffic jams and road accidents, I was told that I was 5 minutes late. Great! Taking the next available flight back would mean I will have an extra 6 hours or so in Perth. Not to mention I can have another final dinner with my friends whom I will miss. Luckily there was no extra charge. Thank heavens I chose SIA.

This time round, I made sure I reach the airport 2 hours before the flight departs. Lo and behold, they told me that although I had a ticket which entitled me to carry 40 kg, the limit was 32 kg per luggage. Now, how am I suppose to get another luggage for that extra 8 kg? Lucky for me, a friend (Mel) of my friend (Dave) was also returning back to Singapore and she happened to have some space in her luggage. So I transfer most of the packs of Cashew & Macadamia nuts over to her. They weighed 400 g each, costing AUD$10. I bought 10 packs of them for present giving to relatives. They tasted good though. And some of my heavier stuffs, eg. DVD writer, also went over into her bags. Thank you again :)

After checking in, the three of us, me, Dave & Mel, stayed around and chatted for a good 1 hour before going in. I decided to shop for some duty free items in Perth Airport. Bought a Beyond Paradise from Estee Lauder for AUD$88.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mel taught me some basic knowledge about buying perfume. She said perfumes have to be tested for a whole day before deciding on buying. Perfumes have 3 tones. Soft, Medium and Base tones. The Soft tone is the smell which one smells first upon spraying it onto one's skin. Medium tone lingers longer than Soft tone. The Base tone is the smell which stays the longest, mostly throughout the day. This is the tone which one can only smell after wearing the perfume for more than half a day. Having interacted with the natural smell of the body, the smell of the Base tone will be significantly different to the Soft tone which one smells when first testing out the perfume on one's skin. In addition to the 3 tones, she also taught me that the box of coffee beans by the side of the shelves are used for clearing away the lingering perfume smell in our nose before we start sampling other perfumes. Just give them a sniff in between the testing of different perfumes. And lastly, those paper strips used for sampling the perfumes can be placed in bags so that your bag will smell of your favorite perfume.

We proceed to board the plane after shopping. As the roar of the engine increased together with the speed of the plane, my heart got heavier by the seconds. Coincidentally, my MP3 player, which I was listening prior to take off, was playing Jay Chou's Yi Lu Xiang Bei (On Route Up North). I couldn't help myself from shedding some tears as the plane took off. The Australian terrain below, which I had grown to love, shrinking beneath. Beautiful memories of myself together with my close friends flashed across my mind like a kaleidoscope. Something which I will treasure. It took me awhile to regain my composure. I am returning home. For better or worst, only time will tell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well as they say 'home sweet home' i guess it can't be that bad. though there maybe issues about your freedom and privacy.....